27 February 2012

finding your nature… wherever you may be

Nature is lurking in unsuspected corners.  If you live in a big city or urban area like I do, sometimes you forget it's there.  The littlest bits of nature are so often overlooked in our big and bustling schedules weaving through the concrete jungle.  Living in Bangkok, sometimes I feel like I’m trapped in a cement box; the natural world being choked out of me.  That just means it’s time for a walk…

I set out the other day into the urban jungle and decided to wander into a very local area a handful of blocks back from my building.  The tall buildings diminished to wooden homes of beautiful carvings and I found myself walking down a pathway.  Giant leaves and delicate flowers began to grow up around me and along the path.  A calico cat took a seat and watched me on my pilgrimage.  I felt like I was in a rural village, not the big, bad, Bangkok I sometimes feel trapped in.  The urban gardens at each house continued to grow as I reached the edge of the canal.  Families sat out on their porches roasting their lunch and chattering happily.  


Green exercise is crucial to our mental and physical health.  Living in a city can make us assume it just isn't possible!  Step outside and follow your instincts around an unsuspecting corner and you may find something you never would have expected; something green, something beautiful and natural making its way up through a crack in the pavement or an urban garden hiding in a damp corner.  Regain your serendipity; your chance to stumble upon something unsought for!

Try and go for a walk every day.  Discover, breath it in, take a photo and send it to your friend.  Many types of doctors are even beginning to give "green exercise" prescriptions for a variety of problems.  Next time you’re at the doctor, you should demand one… and don't forget to stop and smell the flowers.  I will go into the benefits of green exercise in my next post, and adventure, so stayed tuned!


Artwork: Manu_H,  Leah Flores

No comments:

Post a Comment